Thursday, May 29, 2014

Calm Before The Storm

I spent the weeks and days before my surgery collecting information, mostly from Google and Blogspot. I saw all kind of experiences! From people claiming it wasn't painful but it made no noticeable difference in their breathing to people saying it was as bad as child birth, but worked!

Here's a list of things you should know before you go in:

* Will my surgeon be using packing and/or Doyle splints?

Packing is generally avoided nowadays. Some surgeons still use it, but as my doctor puts it, it's painful to take out for you...and we don't like to hear you whine about it! See if you can find a doctor who doesn't use packing, the surgery is gruesome enough without it.

Doyle splints are essentially these three inch plastic tubes that not only support the foundation of your nose after surgery so it heals right, but also provides a way to breathe.

Do these things look comfortable? I thought so.


My doctor said that they are typically sutured into place so you don't accidentally asphyxiate on them in the middle of the night.

The sutures are typically disposable, but hurt and tug on your skin. No surprise there, it's doing it's job, right?

These splints and sutures (if not disposable) are removed typically a week after surgery. It hurts a bit, I'm not going to lie. But the sensation of breathing with both nostrils again is amazing, and totally worth the pain and anxiety (Oh yes! I'm getting to that!) that you feel over the next week.

* Do I have someone to take care of me?

This surgery will bring you to your knees, for at least a week. You will be bleeding for three to four days, if not more, and those Doyle splints are no fun either. You need someone that can help you because you also can't carry heavy things for at least two weeks after the surgery. My doctor said basically anything heavier than a milk carton is too heavy!

* Do you have anxiety?

Specifically, does the idea of 2 three inch plastic tubes up your nose freak you out a little bit? That's OK, it scared me too. I had a panic attack around day 2 or 3 and felt like ripping the damn things out. Don't try. They are, as I said above, sutured in place. Speak with your doctor and try to get an earlier appointment if you feel that you can't deal with these things in your nose for that long. They are uncomfortable, there's no doubt about that!

In addition, Vicodin is typically prescribed for this type of surgery. Yes, you will need it. It's strong, and unfortunately, sometimes evokes anxiety in it's users.

Case Study 1: Dr. Gregory House


For me, it brought on terrible nightmares and insomnia along with the anxiety. I would argue to only use it when you really need it, and are not going to get any sleep anyway!

Here's a checklist of things I feel would help someone going through a septoplasty.
  • Stertile saline spray/mist (check with your doctor, this helps keeps things clean and moist)
  • 2-3 tissue boxes
  • Your choice of fluids to keep hydrated (Gatorade, Powerade, Water, etc)
  • Petroleum jelly (Can be used in combination with the saline to keep things from drying out, you don't need that much, though!)
  • Lots of pillows to sleep upright for 3-5 days
  • Collection of movies to pass time (I went for The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings series)
  • A cellphone with charger nearby (in case of emergency, also keep your doctor's office number handy, either on a paper or in your contact list)
I was told the day before surgery to have no food or drink after midnight, as well as not to use any deodorant. I think this is because they hook you up with different wires that have a hard time adhering if you have this gunk all over your armpits. Either way, just take a shower the night before, and you will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment