Friday, June 13, 2014

Day 14: The Flu

Hours after making my Day 7 post, I somehow caught the flu.

However, I didn't notice it much. From what I understand, after the splints are taken out, the nose can sometimes swell up again to make up the space that those splints took. So, you can mucus and dried blood getting clogged for a while until the swelling goes back down. So, it's like you have the flu anyway!

Now I know how Mike felt. Put me in the game, coach!

Around Day 12, my swelling went back down, and I carefully began to blow my nose. Huge wads of blood and mucus came out for several days...must have been stuck back there for a while.

Probably the most exciting thing happened yesterday.

As I noted before, pre-surgery, my right nostril was completely blocked and I couldn't breath through it. I did all my nose breathing through my left nostril.

However, when I was sick, my left nostril was completely clogged. It was actually the right nose that I was able to breath through most of the night. It was amazing.

Today, both of them have cleared up, but I'm still blowing old blood and mucus out of my nose!

Feeling really good. I think this surgery was worth it. This is the moment I imagined pre-surgery.

The only thing to watch out for is your sense of smell. You might lose it for a few days following the surgery. But when it comes back, the first smell you get is that of dead tissue. It's the worse smell imaginable. It's...sweet? Like a rotting sweet smell...I'm getting sick again just thinking about it.

I'm guessing that's what these guys would smell like in real life?

It takes four to five days to go away. But I did not enjoy that part at all!

Next update will be at Day 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment