Friday, June 6, 2014

Day 7: I Can...Breathe?

Well, I just got home from my ENT.

It was a bit touch and go, but I made it through.

He walked into the waiting room and asked me how I was doing.

"Alright. My left nose hurts a lot."
He sympathized with my anxiety during my ordeal. He noted that the surgery was pretty rough, but let's take a look at your nose.

First things first. He cut my sutures.

3 snips. A little pinch, but not that bad.

Then he told me to relax and used one of his tools to expand my right nostril a bit. He used another tool in his left hand to kind of squirm the splint out of my nose.

It's the weirdest feeling. You know what I can compare it to?

Yep. That's right, folks.

Taking a huge dump. It's that sensation of having something full that's being released. Not really pain, but there's a definite pressure.

Left nostril time. Oh fuck, this is going to hurt. He starts pulling...

And somehow the splint was twisted up my nose a bit! No wonder it was hurting me so much! He had to kind of yank and spin it to get it out. FUCK! It's out!

I felt better right away. The pulling/tugging feeling in my inner nose was gone, replaced with a strange emptiness. The air almost burns when you take your first breath through your nostrils.

"How's that feel?"

Good Doc. Real good.


Next, he told me everything is healing spectacularly. His surgery was done with the intent to allow me to go from no breathing through my nose to 85-90%. No complications.

No exercise for a week, use saline or petroleum jelly to keep your nose from drying out while it heals, and take it easy.

I walked out of the office smelling things again for the first time in years. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment